Monday, December 13, 2010

Yes, Yes, I know... they're trying to take Christ out of Christmas....

"In God We Trust" was first added to U.S. coinage in 1864, adopted as the national motto in 1956, and first appeared on currency in 1957. "Under God" was added to the Pledge of Allegiance in 1954. In my 66 years on the planet, I have experienced NO examples of anyone being offended by a "Merry Christmas" wish, Fox News not withstanding, nor am I as a Christian offended by the use of "Happy Holidays, or " Happy Hanukkah," or "Happy Kwanzaa" or whatever greeting is personally important.

It is only the self-righteous, vain, egotistical Christians who sit in absolute judgement of each other and the rest of the population who have sufficient credulity to believe that someone is actively trying to take God and Christ out of their celebration - in spite of the above citations.

I'm still waiting for them to reveal to me the sections of the Bible that allow them to incite and judge people exclusively. There is Matthew 7:1 "Judge Not, That You Be Not Judged." That statement rests in the context of the Bible where other references say, for instance, Colossians 2:16: "Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday...."

News Flash: If the Bible IS the revealed word of God then any violation on my part cannot be assuaged by the comment, "Well, I was told by this minister ...." I take Jesus' comment “Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s, and unto God the things that are God’s” as a clue that some 'battles' lack the necessary currency to deserve or require pursuit. As Puritan minister Edward Taylor said, "Strive not above what strength hath got, lest in the brawl thou fall!"

No comments: